Thursday, October 21, 2010

New extruder stepper

So my attempt at a direct drive extruder with a stepper was a failure.  not enough torque to push the filament through the hot end.  There are designs to deal with the usual low torque of nema17 steppers.  There's Adrian's geared extruder, and then there's the popular Wade's extruder.  Rick over at Makergear is working on using a geared stepper in a direct drive extruder.  It's not out yet, but I figured a geared stepper should have enough force to use in my ugly mdf extruder.  Rick's sold out of his motors or they're all allocated for the extruder kits he's presold or something.  I dug around and found a different motor that should provide similar performance here.  It's essentially a nema17 stepper with a 26.8:1 gear reduction.  so it takes 26.8 turns of the stepper to turn the output shaft one turn.  so some quick math here: 200 steps per revolution * 26.8 = 5,360.   I think wade's gear ratio is 3.54:1.  we'll see how this works out.

1 comment:

  1. I have been working an extruder for just this motor for Makergear for the last month. Didn't know anyone stocked it besides Kysan. I will see if Rick is cool with me uploading it to Thingiverse. Stay tuned !

    ReplyDelete